Skip to main content

Recently, fraudulent calls have been reported nationwide, affecting all telecoms operators in Luxembourg. Fraudsters use these calls not only to trick victims into calling back a premium-rate number, but also to steal personal information. This FAQ aims to inform you about the spoofing phenomenon and provide you with advice on how to protect yourself.

1. What is spoofing?
Spoofing, or identity theft, is a technique used to mask a telephone number so that a caller appears to be calling from another number.

2. How does spoofing work?
Using certain technologies and software, fraudsters can ensure that the number displayed on the caller ID is not the real number from which the call was made.

3. Why do people use spoofing?
There can be legitimate uses for spoofing, such as a company displaying a central call-back number for all its employees. However, it is often used for malicious purposes, such as scams or to trick someone into answering a call.

4. How can I protect myself against spoofing?
If you don't recognise a number, it's best not to answer. If it's important, the caller will leave a message. Never give out personal or financial information over the phone, unless you initiated the call.

5. What should I do if I think I've been spoofed?
If you think you have been misled by a spoofed call and have given out personal or banking information, make a note of everything you can about the call, including the number displayed, and report it to the police.
If you didn't answer or didn't give any personal information during the conversation, don't worry, there's no risk.

6. Can my number be used for spoofing?
Yes, any number from any operator, including yours, can be spoofed. If someone informs you that they have received a call from your number that you did not make, it is likely that your number has been used.

7. Why do I keep receiving spoofed calls despite security measures?
Spoofing is an evolving technique. Tango implements measures to counter it, but fraudsters often find new methods to get around these protections.

Remember to always remain vigilant and protect your personal information. If something seems suspicious during a call, it's always best to be cautious and hang up.

Find out more about the Institut luxembourgeois de Régulation's advice on FIGHTING FALSE CALLS AND MOBILE NUMBER IDENTITY THEFT (ilr.lu)